Sunday 29 September 2013

Slumdog Millionaire is a film that I immediately thought was interesting and inspiring. The film is based a round a man named Jamal, who enters quiz show "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire". Before he answers the final question, he is took into an interview room by police to find out how he knows the answers to the previous questions without being educated and living on the streets. The film then goes back to events in Jamal's life that give him the answers to the questions.
One scene in particular that stands out to me is the scene when Jamal is a boy playing cricket on the airfield with his friends when the police start to chase him. The beat of the drums makes it so tense and with the tempo increased when he is running through the streets it builds up tension. It made me feel pumped up because I wanted Jamal to escape from the guards. With this scene, you get a feeling of personal identity because it makes you think about your childhood when you was out playing sports with your friends. Social integration is linked with this because it makes you go off to your friends and talk about past similar situations. It provides a lot of entertainment as the scene is so upbeat and gives you an escape from reality.
Despite this film providing a sense of relation, it shares different perspectives of lives that contrast with my own. In one scene Jamal and his brother have snuck onto a train and are trying to sell things to make some money. They even try to steal food to eat, the music in the background is so casual that it makes you think this is normal to them which mad me feel like my life is so much different to theirs. This scene, in a way, provided me with information because I found out about how poverty effects people's lives and taught me about the world.
The ending of Slumdog Millionaire is when Jamal is reunited with the love of his life Latika. It is very emotional with slow music playing in the background and close-ups of both characters faces to show how they are feeling. It made me feel very happy for both of them especially Jamal as throughout the majority of the film he was searching for Latika and it is a huge relief and fills you with comfort when he is reunited with her.
Overall Slumdog Millionaire made more educated about the world as it gives a really good insight to the effects of poverty and how people adapt to it. It was enjoyable to watch as it entertained me throughout with chase scenes and tense moments. The ending was happy which made me feel good for all the characters. The film also gave me a personal identity, because we follow Jamal throughout the entire film I felt like I was him and had an understanding of him because as a viewer I got to learn more about him and his background. This is a very good film and I would watch it over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment